Delta is back with a solid credit card offer, 50,000 points + $50 statement credit. This card is backed by American Express. The great thing about this card is that you only have to spend $1,000 dollars within 90 days to qualify ($11 a day). The other awesome thing is that the points post rather quickly after you meet the minimum spend. It took only 4 days for them to post, in my case.
Two things to keep in mind:
• American Express typically does not allow you to have more than four American Express credit cards open at one time. This is not absolute, but many people have stated that this is the case.
• This sign up offer, as with every other American Express offer, is only available if you have never received the offer before.
Here is the link to the offer (but first read the paragraph below): https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/delta-skymiles/25330
One last thing to note:
Amex does display different (lower) offers depending on the cookies stored in your browser. To make sure you see the 50k mile sign up bonus, you may have to put your browser into private browsing/incognito mode. To find out how to do that, click this link.
That said, let’s talk about some of the perks of this card.
• 50,000 miles – enough for at least 2 round-trips in the lower 48
• $50 received as a statement credit once you make a purchase of some kind with Delta Airlines
• Free checked bag anytime you fly Delta Airlines
• Priority boarding, be one of the first on the plane
• Rental car coverage included with the card as long as the rental car is paid for in full using this card
What is the best way to extract maximum value out of the 50,000 miles?
This of course is subjective depending on where you want to travel. One good use, in my opinion, would be to Puerto Rico. It will run you 35,000 miles and only $11 in fees. Puerto Rico is part of the United States so you do not pay customs fees (like you would flying to Mexico or Jamaica) and you also do not need a passport. Some other great things about Puerto Rico? You should be able to use your same cell phone plan and car insurance.
What is another good potential for using my miles? Well, believe it or not, it takes only 25,000 miles to fly round-trip to Canada – on select days! Yep, you could fly to Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver for 25k miles and about $60 in customs fees (which would be almost covered from your $50 statement credit bonus)
Let’s look at an example itinerary:
Phoenix to Toronto, only 25k miles, you could do it twice for one credit card sign up! The same flight below would cost $361 if you paid cash. That means this credit card sign up bonus could be easily worth $600 without much effort.