Hertz is running a fall/winter promotion on the East Coast. If you are interested in taking a one-way rental car down to Georgia or Florida, this is a great deal.
Typically, rental car agencies charge hefty fees, called flag drops, if you don’t return your vehicle to the same place you picked it up. During certain seasons, like fall, inventory of rental cars can really get out-of-whack. Once there is a shortage of rental cars in a certain region, they begin to offer one-way deals to get cars moving in that direction (in this case it is down South).
Check this out
Here is a sample booking from Philadelphia airport to St Petersburg, FL. This sample booking period is for 48 hours and only costs $48.65 total. That is at a $9.99 per day rate plus any airport or local fees/taxes. If there was not a one-way special going on, this same booking on Hertz from PHL to St Pete would be well over $150 for just two days. In some cases it may be cheaper to rent a car one-way if booking a last-minute flight is too expensive.
Where can I drop the car off?
Here are the participating airports to which you can DROP off the Hertz rental car:
• Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport (ATL) – Atlanta, GA
• Daytona Airport (DAB) – Daytona Beach, FL
• Ft. Lauderdale International Airport (FLL) – Ft. Lauderdale, FL
• Ft. Myers Southwest International Airport (RSW) – Ft. Myers, FL
• Melbourne International Airport (MLB) – Melbourne, FL
• Miami International Airport (MIA) – Miami, FL
• Naples Airport (APF) – Naples, FL
• Orlando International Airport (MCO) – Orlando, FL
• Palm Beach International Airport (PBI) – West Palm Beach, FL
• Sarasota Bradenton Airport (SRQ) – Sarasota, FL
• St. Petersburg Clearwater Airport (PIE) – St. Petersburg, FL
• Tampa International Airport (TPA) – Tampa, FL
What airports can I pick up the car at?
Here is a list, broken out by qualifying dates, of available Hertz pick-up locations:
— September 4, 2016 – December 10, 2016 —
• Albany International Airport (ALB) – Albany, NY
• Buffalo Niagara International Airport (BUF) – Buffalo, NY
• Charleston Yeager Airport (CRW) – Charleston, WV
• Islip MacArthur Airport (ISP) – Islip, NY
• Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) – Philadelphia, PA
• Portland Maine International Jetport (PWM) – Portland, ME
• TF Green Airport (PVD) – Providence, RI
— October 9, 2016 – December 10, 2016 —
• Baltimore Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) – Baltimore, MD
• Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) – Boston, MA
• Bradley International Airport (BDL) – Hartford, CT
• Burlington Airport (BTV) – Burlington, VT
• Dulles international Airport (IAD) – Dulles, VA
• New York City JFK Airport (JFK) – New York City, NY
• New York City LaGuardia Airport (LGA) – New York City, NY
• Newark International Airport (EWR) – Newark, NJ
• Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) – Pittsburgh, PA
• Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU) – Raleigh, NC
• Richmond International Airport (RIC) – Richmond, VA
• Rochester International Airport (ROC) – Rochester, NY
• Ronald Reagan national Airport (DCA) – Washington D.C., DC
• Syracuse Hancock Airport (SYR) – Syracuse, NY
• Westchester County Airport (HPN) – White Plains, NY
— November 27, 2016 – December 10, 2016 —
• Charleston International Airport (CHS) – Charleston, SC
• Norfolk Airport Counter (ORF) – Norfolk, VA
• Roanoke Regional Airport (ROA) – Roanoke, VA
Nice list of airports.
As you can see, there is a good variety of eligible pick-up airports. If you’d like to explore the East Coast, this is a great opportunity to save some cash. You could fly into Washington D.C., get your car, and make your way down the coast to Atlanta. You could catch your return flight home Atlanta and not have to pay a flag drop fee on the rental car! That would allow you to see; Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia.
For four rental days, starting in Washington D.C. and ending in Atlanta, you are looking at only $62 total. That price is for a compact car, stepping up to a standard card will set you back $81 ($91 for a full size) for the same time period.
Remember, you DO NOT need to pay in advance, you can reserve a few vehicles and dates, lock in your price, and then cancel the bookings you don’t need at a later time. Make sure to leverage the free cancellation with NO RISK.